Arrest Record, Background Check, Wrong name!

Asked 11 months ago - New York, NY

I was arrested and convicted of a misdemeanor charge in NYC last year. But when I was arrested, police filed my name wrong on record. For example, if my name was Alexander Miller, the police put my name as Alxander Miller (missed one letter in my first name) and the same wrong name went to court files as well (in my disposition letter, its also the wrong name). So, my question is, if someone does my background check from my full name, will they be able to see anything in record? Or since the arrest and court records have different name, they wont be able to see anything from my original name?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Stephen Charles Cooper

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . At the time of your arrest, or at least before arraignment, you were fingerprinted. Your rap sheet contains information other than the name you were prosecuted under. It has your address, your date of birth, and your social security information. I believe that any decent researcher seeking your criminal history will find it. Let's hope that they do not further ostracize you because of your use of another name.

  2. Eric Edward Rothstein

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If they do a fingerprint check it will show up. If they do a check by name and date of birth it is so close that it will likely show up.

    I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 17 years. I was... more
  3. Amanda K. Ambrose


    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with my colleagues. It can still show up.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

27,739 answers this week

3,042 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

27,739 answers this week

3,042 attorneys answering