Aren't police officers suppose to give tickets for expired insurance cards & expired out of state driver's license?

Asked about 1 year ago - Houston, TX

I was recently in an accident in Houston, TX & the other party's insurance card & their out of state driver license both had expired plus the other arty was refusing to give me their information so I called the police. The police did not give a ticket to them for the expired insurance card or the expired out of state drivers license. I thought tickets were always given for both offenses. The officer was Asian and so was the other party. Can I file a complaint against the officer? Shouldn't the officer have given them tickets for both issues?

Pro

8

Answered . It is within the discretion of the police. It is not a racial issue.

2. David J. McCormick

6

Answered . It is discretionary and any complaint you would make will not go far.

3. Daniel Knight Dinneen

Pro

4

Answered . Fortunately for you, it really doesn't matter. Just because the other party was not cited does not change whether or not they were liable under the law.

Far more important than whether they received a ticket for these transgressions is whether the investigating officer placed any responsibility on them for causing the accident. When you receive a copy of the "Texas Peace Officer's Crash Report" (available from the Texas Department of Transportation), take a look at Box No. 36 - "Contributing Factors (Investigator's Opinion)." What the police officer writes in these boxes is far more impactful on your rights and liabilities that whether the other party was cited for an expired DL or no insurance.

Finally, if you sustained any sort of injury whatsoever, and you believe that you were not at fault in causing the accident, you should contact a personal injury attorney as soon as possible. It is imperative that you do so immediately and that you not talk to any insurance companies until you do.

With that advice in mind, I would be happy to speak with you myself. Just click on my name above and give me a call or send me an email. I handle these types of cases with great regularity.

4. George Costas Andriotis

Pro

5

Answered . It's discretionary.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.
  5. Manuel Alzamora Juarez

Pro

3

Answered . If you feel wronged, go ahead and make the complaint. Best of luck.