Skip to main content

Aren't police officers suppose to give tickets for expired insurance cards & expired out of state driver's license?

Houston, TX |

I was recently in an accident in Houston, TX & the other party's insurance card & their out of state driver license both had expired plus the other arty was refusing to give me their information so I called the police. The police did not give a ticket to them for the expired insurance card or the expired out of state drivers license. I thought tickets were always given for both offenses. The officer was Asian and so was the other party. Can I file a complaint against the officer? Shouldn't the officer have given them tickets for both issues?

Attorney Answers 5

  1. It is within the discretion of the police. It is not a racial issue.

  2. It is discretionary and any complaint you would make will not go far.

    DISCLAIMER: David J. McCormick is licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and this answer is being provided for informational purposes only because the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship.

  3. It's discretionary.

    Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at

  4. If you feel wronged, go ahead and make the complaint. Best of luck.

    This answer is provided by California Accident Attorney Manuel A. Juarez, Esq., 510-206-4492. Abogado de Accidentes de Autos de California: 510-206-4492. Abogado de Lesiones de Accidentes de Autos, provides answers of a general context. These answers are not intended to form an attorney client relationship. Oakland Abogado Accidentes Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Accidentes de carros, Abogado de accidentes de Peatones, practices in Antioch, Berkeley, Concord, Oakland, Hayward, Martinez, Newark, Richmond, San Francisco and San Rafael. El abogado de lesiones y heridos en accidentes de autos, is licensed only in California. This information is good only in California and it is not to be taken as legal advice on car accidents, personal injury, divorce, bankruptcy or in any other type of situation. Esta respuesta es del Abogado de Accidentes de Autos, Abogado de Lesiones Personales, Abogado de Heridos en Accidentes de carros, Manuel A. Juárez, 510-206-4492. Abogado Hispano de Accidentes, Abogado de Divorcios, Abogado Latino de Accidentes, Abogado de Accidentes de Oakland, Hayward, San Francisco, California. Estas respuesta son solo para información general y no consisten en consejo legal sobre divorcios, mantención de esposas, mantención de hijos o bancarrotas. Las respuestas son comentarios legales que no forman una relación de abogado y cliente. Manuel Juarez, Esq., esta licenciado solo en el Estado de California.

  5. Fortunately for you, it really doesn't matter. Just because the other party was not cited does not change whether or not they were liable under the law.

    Far more important than whether they received a ticket for these transgressions is whether the investigating officer placed any responsibility on them for causing the accident. When you receive a copy of the "Texas Peace Officer's Crash Report" (available from the Texas Department of Transportation), take a look at Box No. 36 - "Contributing Factors (Investigator's Opinion)." What the police officer writes in these boxes is far more impactful on your rights and liabilities that whether the other party was cited for an expired DL or no insurance.

    Finally, if you sustained any sort of injury whatsoever, and you believe that you were not at fault in causing the accident, you should contact a personal injury attorney as soon as possible. It is imperative that you do so immediately and that you not talk to any insurance companies until you do.

    With that advice in mind, I would be happy to speak with you myself. Just click on my name above and give me a call or send me an email. I handle these types of cases with great regularity.

Real estate topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics