Are you entitled to medical care in a North Carolina jail if arrested with a medical condition?

Lenoir, NC |

I was arrested on a warrant 72 hrs after surgery on a broken leg with no cast. Put in jail on a rubber mat. My crutches and pain meds taken away and denied medical care for 17.5 hrs. Could not elevate my leg per Dr. orders. Had extreme difficulty standing and getting to toilet to urinate. ask repeatedly for help and was denied. told to shut up, that there was nothing wrong with me.

Yes, you are entitled to medical care in jail. You may have a personal injury claim against the jail/State of North Carolina. This will depend on if you had any long-term damage, and other facts of your case. Please feel free to contact our office at 919-783-5900 to discuss further.

In most cases, this is not an issue of state law, but of your rights under federal law. Call a personal injury lawyer who specializes in this area of law.

Most likely a civil rights case.

I have added a civil rights tag to your question. Generally speaking this is more of a civil rights question. You would be best served by having a civil rights attorney answering this. But, generally you are entitled to medical care, even if incarcerated.

Civil rights topics