Skip to main content

Are you able to seal a public / civil record in Wisconsin?

Madison, WI |

- Sealing a public record
- Civil, not criminal
- Wisconsin only
- Outagamie County, specifically
- Looking to hire attorney if this can be done.

Attorney Answers 2


No, civil records cannot be sealed.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


Civil records can be sealed upon an order for good cause entered by a court. For example, many businesses request that a settlement agreement files with the court be sealed so as to not have business contacts have access to business secrets or to affect business credit. Furthr, Financial Disclosure Statements in family court matters are always sealed. With Wisconsin Circuit Court Access making everything civil so public, many people are harmed in job searches with public access to this information. You need to petition the court to have these records sealed.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics