Are you able to own a business and receive social security and disability.

Dallas, TX |

Recently awarded ssi and disability due to have lupus bipolar and a host of other illness. I have held jobs but not for a long amount of time due to keep falling ill and missing days. Judge finally said I cant work but if i have always wanted to own my own business can i do that and still receive my monthly payments.

Social Security and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) are two different programs. Both provide benefits to persons who are elderly or disabled. Social Security is an insurance program. If you have enough "covered quarters" and insured status, your disability benefits would continue if you made less than $1,000 per month at your business. If your disability benefits are SSI, a means-tested welfare program, the earnings limits are less. Be aware that the demands and stress of owning a business often exceeds that of employment in many ways. If your work attendance was so inconsistent you met the disability standards, owning a business without losing lots of money may be an unrealistic expectation.

Best wishes for an outcome you can accept, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.

2. I would agree with the last writer that as long as your income remains under $1000.00 a month you may be fine. Keep in mind though that SSA can do a review on your claim and if it is show that you can work and make a living at SGA levels, you may become disqualified. You run that risk so proceed carefully!

3. Both attorneys are correct BUT there is a danger. When you were evaluated for disability it was based on medical condition, education and relevant work experience. You were found disable because you could not perform work for which you were qualified. If you own your own business, even if you stay under the $1040 mark, you will be exhibiting skills that you may not have been previously evaluated. If that is the case, SS may decide that you are able to perform work related to these new skills and you would lose your disability award.

Do not want to discourage you but you should know the potential risks relative to your situation.

Disclaimer Information on this site is provided by attorney Clint Curtis as general information and not specific legal advice. Specific advice can only be provided after a complete analysis of all information related to the asker. No attorney-client relationship is established by the use of the information provided. If you have additional questions please contact the law office.