Are wrongful death suits public or private? I cannot find my family's claim anywhere.

Asked 12 months ago - Evansville, IN

My extended family said they had filed a wrongful death suit against another party, while I know this is a civil matter (right?) I cannot find any information on it. I assumed all civil cases were public. Are wrongful death suits public as well?

1. Philip Anthony Fabiano

13

Answered . They are public. You need to know the county where the case is filed. That county may have the civil dockets online. If they do not you can go to the county courthouse and pull and read the file.

Pro

12

Answered . Search the online civil docket

3. Andrew Daniel Myers

11

Answered . Under very limited circumstances filings can be made under seal and names and other information can be redacted - protected against disclosure - in the filings. Sometimes a "John Doe" or "Jane Doe" case can be filed. But, without more information, it is difficult to know whether these civil procedure devices apply.

Yes, wrongful death suits are civil matters.

In addition to the state trial court with jurisdiction, the case might have been filed in federal court IF diversity of citizenship between the parties exists, that is if plantiff and defendant lived in different states. Many other possibilities come to mind, so you might hire a firm with a paralegal they could assign the task of finding the case. You might also consider an investigator.

I have not written a blog article on this - yet - but thank you for the idea and here's my blog on personal injury and civil law: BLUE LINK BELOW

4. Burton A. Padove

Pro

9

Answered . You may also want to check to see if the case was filed in federal court.

5. John Michael Phillips

10

Answered . Public. It is typically filed under the Estate in the County where the incident happened.

6. Josh P Tolin

7

Answered . It would public and you should be able to find if you know what county it is in. As another lawyer suggested if the driver or other party was out of State it may be filed in Federal Court. You would have to look up and register in PACER to find.

7. C. Donald Briggs III

Pro

6

Answered . Are you sure it was filed? Almost all lawsuits are public. If the case has been filed, you will need to know where it is filed to see what paperwork has been filed. There are lots of places where it could have been filed so why not ask a family member for the name of the court where it was filed.

8. James Otto Heiting

Pro

6

Answered . Public.

9. Joseph Franklin Pippen Jr.

Pro

5

Answered . Yes-you can check online or go to the courthouse.