Are wills listed as public records in the state of Florida?

Crestview, FL |

My father resided and passed away in Cambial County FL .

Was this recently? Generally probate proceedings are public, but the will might not be listed directly.

I can't find any county in Florida that is named Cambial county. The closest I get is Columbia.

The above is not intended to be legal advice, but may be used for general information. Please contact an attorney for specific help tailored to your needs. www.figgardenlaw.com

Are you trying to locate the will on public records? If so, make sure that you get the correct county for your father's address. Google is a good resource for that. While, as mentioned, the will is supposed to be filed within 10 days of a person's passing, many times the next of kin or personal representative cannot locate the last executed original of the will, in which case a will "search" will have to be performed or a verification of a copy done in court. In any case, any AVVO wills and probate lawyer can help you with this sort of information, or a local lawyer of your choice.

Carol Johnson Law Firm, P.A. : (727) 647-6645 : carol@caroljohnsonlaw.com : Wills, Trusts, Real Property, Probate, Special Needs: Information provided here is anecdotal and should not be relied upon or considered legal advice. Every matter is different and answers given here are general in nature and may not reflect current Florida law at the time you are reading this posting. Please contact me if you feel you need additional assistance with your matter.

Wills must be filed within 10 days of death and must be filed to start a probate proceeding.
Once filed-they are public records.

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.

Wills and estates topics