Are we considered separate households for Head of Household status?

Herndon, VA |
Filed under: Tax law

Live in my parents house, pay $1000 per month toward $2200 mortgage (parents pay other portion) I pay all expenses associated with house (utilities, HOA, etc.) Have a 2 year old who lives with me 90% of the time (separated from husband/child's father about 6 months). Parents do not live with me. Are we considered separate households and do I qualify to file Head of Household?

In order to file head of household you have to be (1) considered unmarried, (2) you paid for more than half of cost of keeping up the home, and (3) a "qualifying" person lived with you for more than half of the year. It looks like you would qualify for head of household status. It looks like you qualify if your separation is done by legal decree, or lived apart for 6 months.

Obviously you haven't retained my services, I am just directing you in the right direction. You should seek the help of a qualified accountant.

Tax law topics