Are verbal contracts binding in Virginia.

Asked about 2 years ago - Richmond, VA

I had a verbal contract with some former business partners an now they aren't upholding there end of the contract taking all profit instead of 60/40 as agreed.

1. Mark Westerfield

Answered . Yes, a verbal contract is valid, as well as a verbal partnership agreement. The difficulty is proving what was agreed, when one side says one thing and the other side says the opposite. If you have records of some sort that proves the agreement (emails for example) or the financial records showing how the records were divided. Unless this involves only a small amount of money, I strongly urge you to hire a lawyer to help you with this. You need to file suit for an accounting and need to obtain financial records through the litigation process (discovery) to help you prove your case.

2. Syed Wali Raheen

Answered . In Virginia, verbal contracts are enforceable; unless the contract is a kind that would fall under statute of frauds. The problem with verbal contracts (and hence the rational behind statute of frauds) is that it is difficult to prove that such a contract exist. You don’t provide sufficient facts to make this determination. I strongly urge you to contact an attorney to discuss you situation. If you wish to contact us, we provide free consultation.

---
    Wali Raheen
    Attorney & Counselor at Law

RAHEEN LAW GROUP, P.C.
    4229 Lafayette Center Dr. | Suite 1300
    Chantilly, VA 20151
    Tel: (703) 544-0050 | Fax: (703) 574-8099
    E-mail: raheen@raheenlaw.com
    Website: www.raheenlaw.com