Are vc 10801 operation of chop shop and PC 496 receiving stolen property essentially theft crimes?

Asked over 1 year ago - Van Nuys, CA

In order to prove both charges listed above, is the state required to prove the element of knowingly exercises control over the property.

1. John M. Kaman

Pro

4

Answered . Knowledge is an element of both crimes. The chop shop charge requires knowing and intentional operation. Receiving stolen property requires knowledge that the items were stolen. Get a lawyer.

2. Elliot Rahmim Zarabi

Pro

1

Answered . Yes, knowledge is essential, but lets say you bought something that is normally $10,000 for $500 the DA can say you had knowledge because of the dramatic difference in price.

Elliot Zarabi
    www.FreeCriminalConsultation.com
    213-612-7720

3. Nicholas Maurice Rosenberg

1

Answered . These charges often involve a standard phrased as knew or should have known as in my colleague's example regarding price. The receiving stolen property is priorable like theft and burglary and the chop shop allegation opens the evidence up at trial to other incidents. The defendant or his family needs to consult with an experienced criminal attorney in the Van Nuys Courthouse such as me. Good luck.

www.losangelesdefenders.com