Are vc 10801 operation of chop shop and PC 496 receiving stolen property essentially theft crimes?

Van Nuys, CA |

In order to prove both charges listed above, is the state required to prove the element of knowingly exercises control over the property.

Knowledge is an element of both crimes. The chop shop charge requires knowing and intentional operation. Receiving stolen property requires knowledge that the items were stolen. Get a lawyer.

Yes, knowledge is essential, but lets say you bought something that is normally $10,000 for $500 the DA can say you had knowledge because of the dramatic difference in price.

Elliot Zarabi
www.FreeCriminalConsultation.com
213-612-7720

Elliot Zarabi www.FreeCriminalConsultation.com 213-612-7720 This answer does not constitute full legal advise. I do not know the full details of the case and therefore cannot make a full determination on your case or your answer. I always recommend speaking to an attorney in detail regarding your case.

These charges often involve a standard phrased as knew or should have known as in my colleague's example regarding price. The receiving stolen property is priorable like theft and burglary and the chop shop allegation opens the evidence up at trial to other incidents. The defendant or his family needs to consult with an experienced criminal attorney in the Van Nuys Courthouse such as me. Good luck.

www.losangelesdefenders.com