Are unlawful detainer cases in Californoia public information?

If I have the case number for an unlawful detainer case in Los Angeles, can I check the status of the case as I can other civil cases or do I have to go to the courthouse?

If the case is dismissed or the court enters a judgment for the tenant within sixty days, the case is permanently restricted. Cases brought under Code of Civil Procedure section 1161a after foreclosures or sales are also permanently restricted, even if the plaintiff prevails. In that event, only parties to the action and their attorneys of record may view the cases.

Restricted cases do not appear on the courts' case information websites.

In California, unlawful detainers are "masked" for the first 60 days after filing - this means that no one can view the cases unless they are either an involved party or attorney for one of the parties.
You can try and check the status of the case, just be prepared to hear a refusal.

I agree with Ms. Farley. You also would not be able to access information regarding a case if the record is under seal. Hope this helps.

Landlord-tenant topics

Recommended articles about Landlord-tenant