Are union arbitration awards public?

Asked over 2 years ago - Lansdale, PA

I am at the 3rd step level after being discharged. I am afraid of going to arbitration because I don't want everyone to know my business

1. Marilynn Mika Spencer

Answered . I am a California attorney and cannot give legal advice in your state. My comments are information only, based on federal law and general legal principles. YOUR STATE MAY HAVE ITS OWN LAWS THAT OFFER SIMILAR OR GREATER PROTECTION. If I mention your state’s laws, it only means I did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant. You MUST check with an attorney licensed in your state to learn your rights.

Generally they are not public. Some arbitrators ask the parties for permission to publish their decisions; either party can refuse. You need to talk to your union about this in advance because if the arbitrator wants to publish, most parties will be reluctant to refuse, thinking the arbitrator may be biased against it for the refusal. In similar situations, I have granted permission to publish if the arbitrator replaces the name of the grievant with "the Grievant" so no one will know who it is.