Are travel expenses for a job interview tax deductable?

Asked almost 3 years ago - West Chester, PA

I do have a good job but I applied for another job in a state 1000miles away from home and had to travel there in order to apply. I did not get the job. Can I claim travel exspenses on my income tax? Since then I have applied for another job 1000 miles away from my home and had to go there to interview. I did get this job. Can I claim travel expenses on my income tax? When I move there can I claim moving expenses?

1. Steven M Zelinger

Pro

Answered . Check IRS Publication 4128
    http://www.irs.gov/app/picklist/list/publicatio...

Generally this can be deductible, I would advise hiring an experienced CPA. I am PA attorney and I know several CPA's near to you who could assist you in your tax preparation.

This is not legal advice nor intended to create an attorney-client relationship.
  2. Steven J. Fromm

Answered . Certain expenses of looking for a new job in the taxpayer's present occupation are deductible even if the search is unsuccessful. The taxpayer must be currently employed or recently unemployed. So as long your search is for a job in your present occupation you would seem to qualify. However, the travel must be directly related to the employment search. The amount of time spent looking for work must have exceeded the time spent for personal pleasure. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any further questions.

Hope this helps. If you like this answer and have a Google account , please hit the +1 sign above. It takes just a second to do this and it would be most appreciated and would help others. Thanks.
    Mr. Fromm is licensed to practice law throughout the state of PA with offices in Philadelphia and Montgomery counties. He is authorized to handle IRS matters throughout the United States. His phone number is 215-735-2336 or his email address is sjfpc@comcast.net , his website is www.sjfpc.com. and his blog is

3. John Adam Wetenkamp

Answered . Here is another source on the IRS website that you might want to check out (below). There are additional links once you get to this page. One is a link to Publication 539, "Miscellaneous Deductions."

http://www.mwattorneys.com