Are Transfer on Death Deeds for Real Estate still an option in Ohio? My father put me on a Survivorship Deed instead. Thanks.

Massillon, OH |

I don't want to be on the title now, as I now am, until his time comes unless TODD's are no longer an option in Ohio.
I inherited a property from my mother via a TODD but she prepared it in the early 1990's.
Are they still an option in Ohio?

Yes, they are called a Transfer on Death Designation Affidavit (see I would strongly urge you to consult with a local real estate attorney concerning your circumstances and to most certainly have an attorney draft any documents you may decide to use. You can search for an attorney on Avvo or contact your local bar association for a referral. I hope this was helpful, and best of luck to you.

I am licensed in the State of Ohio, posting a response to your question or issue does not create an attorney-client relationship and I AM NOT providing you legal advice. You should speak with an attorney who is licensed in your state to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights--or rights to recovery of damages.

Thanks very much!

Please contact me. We may be able to assist, if needed, or find someone who can.

This response does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship.

Bad idea to put you on title
please consult with attorney BEFORE you or your father do anymore transfers
your father may have triggered a problem
transferring back without consultation with an attorney may create a larger problem

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates