Are these grounds for child support termination in NY state?

Asked almost 2 years ago - New York, NY

My son's grandmother is the one receiving the child support. She is on NY state assistance so the child support case was directed to the commissioner. I just became aware that my son no longer lives with his grandmother and she has moved to florida. The grandmother has left my son with his mother who has a history of mental illness and alcohol dependency. The grandmother has been convicted of section 8 fraud in april of 2012. Since my son no longer lives with the grandmother, she is in Florida and must be collecting NY assistance, she left the child with his mother, is this grounds for termination?

1. Mary Katherine Brown

Pro

9

27

Answered . Child support should be redirected to the adult who is caring for the child. I suggest you consider filing for a modification immediately.

2. Louis Lawrence Sternberg

7

Answered . That should be grounds to modify the order. You should speak with a local family law attorney quickly.

3. David Ivan Bliven

Pro

7

Answered . I'd highly suggest to do 2 things - (1) file a petition to modify the support order, and (2) file a custody petition. Assuming there was a valid reason the child wasn't with the mother in the first place, you may be putting the child at risk of harm if the child continues to live with the mother given what you've related. Ultimately the support court may simply change the payee (or recipient) of support, but not necessarily terminate it unless custody goes to you. Nevertheless, I encourage you to follow-up with a NYC Child Custody/Support lawyer.

* If you found my answer to be helpful, or the "best answer," please feel free to mark it accordingly.
  4. Maria C. Tebano

5

Answered . Speak to a family law attorney about this issue. The support could be terminated as it relates to payments made to the grandmother, but if your son is living with his mother, the mother could file a petition for child support and receive payments from you. If you do not believe that the mother is a proper custodial parent for your son, you can file a custody modification petition requesting that your son primarily reside with you.

5. Lawrence Allen Weinreich

5

Answered . It is grounds to change the receipient of the child support not to terminate if the child is still underage and attending school. Speak with a local family law attorney about the facts and the appropriate petitions to file.

I hope you found this answer helpful and if so, please let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button at the bottom of this answer. It’s easy and appreciated. You can also choose a "best answer" if you wish. This is easy to do and greatly appreciated.

* This post and all others I make on Internet are for informational purposes only. None of the information or materials I post are legal advice. Nothing I post as comments, answers, or other communications should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing of this information does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. While I try to be accurate, I do not guarantee accuracy.

This advice is not meant to create an attorney-client relationship and is a general anwer to the question posed.