Are there steps to take if the home owners and renters feel that some of the board members are just being bully's.?

34202 |

we have already had the news media here when they tried to say children could not play outside which did get over turned. people of our board go around taking pictures without knowing the details of anything and before you know it you are getting a letter from the management company. the person on our fines committee is the same person would have to approach to make an appeal it's this a conflict of interest? how can the same person fining also be the judge and the jury. we have rules on the books that are so out dated they are absurd. any advise you can give is appreciated.

Sounds like you need to have other people be board members and oust the present board. Talk to an HOA attorney and see what your options are. . Go to AVVO.com, find a lawyer and put in the specialty area and your geographic location and attorneys should pop up. You can call a few and see about prices and availability.

Mark here if this answer is helpful

The more I read about the sins of HOA board members on this forum the happier I become that I live in a community without one.

You get rid of bullies on the HOA the same way you do elsewhere: you vote them out of office. As my colleague here suggested, those of you who are dissatisfied with the state of affairs should band together, appoint one of you to be the representative, and hire a lawyer with HOA experience. Take a copy of the docs and a list of the problems and seek his help.

The gravitas of having one lawyer represent a significant number against the malefactor or malefactors usually gets their attention.

If you find the answer helpful please tag it. I provide free initial consultation extended to all clients either in office or by phone. We do not have an attorney-client relationship unless we enter into a written, formal letter of instruction to represent; accordingly, I am not your lawyer. The statements I make do not constitute legal advice. Any statements I make are based upon the limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am admitted to practice in Florida, Oklahoma, and Texas, and to the Bar of U. S. District Courts. Accordingly, my responses reflect the law of those states. I practice extensively in U. S. District and Bankruptcy Courts. Any advice given here is deemed to be within the parameters of the rules of professional responsibility and codes of ethics as promulgated by The Florida Bar and The Supreme Court of Florida, The State Bar of Texas and the Texas Supreme Court and the Oklahoma Bar Association and the Oklahoma Supreme Court.

Without reading all of the rules and regulations, how is it that we are to know the contents? Without being able to apply specific factual circumstances to the rules and regulations, we can tell you nothing other than go see an attorney about all of this. Perhaps you could band together with other residents to come up with the ability to hire counsel.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq. We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I make do not constitute legal advice. Any statements made by me are based upon the limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in Florida.