Are there rules or laws on applying my security deposit to my last months rent since I have no rental agreement or lease?

Asked over 1 year ago - Southfield, MI

I paid 2-1/2 months deposit, which I was told included the 1st month's and last month's rent; but I am not what the 1/2 month portion is for, unless it's some type of incidental damages coverage. The landlord has never issued me receipts, but I've made copies for my records. In the money order memo I wrote the break-down. I have fallen behind in my rent and want to live out the 1-1/2 months instead of petitioning the court to get it refunded after moving out. I don't think that I should have to pay for normal refurbishing expenses such as painting or basic cleaning because I have taken good care of the unit, not incurring damages nor is it extremely worn or soiled. Also, since I don't have a lease or rental agreement, can the landlord charge me late fees?

1. John J. Keenan

1

1

Best Answer

Answered . Mr. Frederick is correct. When you pay a security deposit, that is to be used for any damages the landlord suffers as a result of your tenancy. These damages can be unpaid rent, unpaid utilities, and/or actual physical damage to the property, beyond normal wear and tear.

In your case, it sounds as if the landlord has designated a portion of your security deposit to be applied to your rent for the last month of your tenancy. By notifying him of your intent to move, he then becomes obligated to apply that portion of your deposit for that purpose. The balance of the deposit remains as a damage deposit which he can use to cover the damages set forth above. It is not just for unpaid rent. I know you believe you have done no damage to the property, but the landlord is entitled to have those funds available in the event that he disagrees.

Mr. Frederick has set forth the procedures and time limits you must follow. Please be sure to adhere to them.

John J. Keenan

2. James P. Frederick

Answered . What do you mean, you have no lease or rental agreement? It sounds like you have some kind of agreement. Lease agreements are supposed to be in writing. In the absence of a lease, I suppose that you have a month to month lease. Since you have already blown some of the rules, it is hard to say what a judge would do. I would try to follow the statutes as much as possible.

You would notify the landlord a month in advance of your vacating the propery, and give notice of a forwarding address within 4 days of moving out. The landlord would have 30 days to notify you of damages and then if you disagree with the damages, the landlord would need to sue you or return your security deposit. I assume that the 1/2 month is a security deposit, but it is not clear.

James Frederick