Are there requirements (dollar amount or time period) that must be met before a contempt order for child support can be filed?

Hawkinsville, GA |

I was out of work for 3 months. I missed 3 CS payments for a total of $664.00. I pay bi-weekly, not monthly, so I was around 45 days late. I have started back to work and have payed $200 of the total I owed. I told him I would pay $100 per week from now on. He is threatening me with a contempt order. I was curious if there were certain requirements that had to be met.

If he's a complete fool, sure he can file. You can file anything. It would force both of you to spend far more on lawyers than the small arrearage and a judge would likely not do anything more with such a small amount than you and he could figure out. Having said that, catch it up as quickly as you can and keep good records. If he does sue, talk to a lawyer.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at geaatl@msn.com . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

Child support topics