Are there requirements (dollar amount or time period) that must be met before a contempt order for child support can be filed?

Asked about 1 year ago - Hawkinsville, GA

I was out of work for 3 months. I missed 3 CS payments for a total of $664.00. I pay bi-weekly, not monthly, so I was around 45 days late. I have started back to work and have payed $200 of the total I owed. I told him I would pay $100 per week from now on. He is threatening me with a contempt order. I was curious if there were certain requirements that had to be met.

1. Glen Edward Ashman

Pro

1

Answered . If he's a complete fool, sure he can file. You can file anything. It would force both of you to spend far more on lawyers than the small arrearage and a judge would likely not do anything more with such a small amount than you and he could figure out. Having said that, catch it up as quickly as you can and keep good records. If he does sue, talk to a lawyer.