Are there minimum bedroom requirements for non custodial parent in NJ

Cherry Hill, NJ |

Is it required in NJ for the non custodial parent to have 2 bedrooms for overnights when sex of parent and child are not same - father of 4 yr old girl has only one bedroom apartment - is this appropriate/legal in NJ?

1. It would be nice to have a second bedroom but it is not required.

This answer is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice.

2. No, it is not required but a safety inspection can be requested.

3. I would generally recommend it, however there is no official rule. That being said, a safety investigation might find that there is a problem with a parent only having a one bedroom divider. Quite often, of for financial reasons that is the only thing that can be afforded, I will tell the parent to make the bedroom into two smaller bedrooms with a partition, or section off part of the living room as a bedroom for the parent. Contact an attorney in your area immediately, and provide him/her with all of the documentation relative to this matter.

This office does not represent you. This email does not form any attorney / client relationship. In order to form an attorney client relationship with our office, our office requires both a signed retainer and payment of any initial fee. Further, since we have very limited facts relative to your matter, you should not rely on any of the general advice set forth within our answer. I would strongly recommend that you speak with counsel regarding your issue.

4. Each child should have his/her own bedroom at that age.

DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed

Child custody topics