Are there lawyers who help low income people with divorce and child custody??

Asked almost 2 years ago - Columbia, MO

I need a lawyer to get my divorce started. There is one child between us. My ex keeps threatening to take my kid away. I have low income and cant afford a chunk of money out of my pocket. I just want to be legally done with him and make sure my child has a stable situation instead of being shuffled every time his dad doesnt think he can handle him or to hurt me. please help me.

1. Ann Littell Mills

1

Answered . Legal Services is an option for people with low income, although their resources are extremely limited. The Missouri Courts web site does offer free forms for people who would like to attempt their own divorce. You may also be able to find a lawyer who will accept payments that you can afford.

2. M. Todd Miller

1

Answered . Absolutely. Contact the Missouri Bar Referral Service in Jefferson City or Mid Missouri Legal Services right there in Columbia. Good luck.

3. Catherine Earnshaw-Hobbs

1

Answered . The Missouri Supreme Court has a site to help people who want to represent themselves. I have posted it below. By all means check that out.