Are there lawyers who help low income people with divorce and child custody??

Asked almost 2 years ago - Columbia, MO

I need a lawyer to get my divorce started. There is one child between us. My ex keeps threatening to take my kid away. I have low income and cant afford a chunk of money out of my pocket. I just want to be legally done with him and make sure my child has a stable situation instead of being shuffled every time his dad doesnt think he can handle him or to hurt me. please help me.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Ann Littell Mills

    Contributor Level 3


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Legal Services is an option for people with low income, although their resources are extremely limited. The Missouri Courts web site does offer free forms for people who would like to attempt their own divorce. You may also be able to find a lawyer who will accept payments that you can afford.

  2. M. Todd Miller

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Absolutely. Contact the Missouri Bar Referral Service in Jefferson City or Mid Missouri Legal Services right there in Columbia. Good luck.

    NOTE: The use of the Internet for communications with the firm or this attorney will not establish an attorney-... more
  3. Catherine Earnshaw-Hobbs

    Contributor Level 7


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . The Missouri Supreme Court has a site to help people who want to represent themselves. I have posted it below. By all means check that out.

    Answers given here are for general information only and do not create Ana attorney client relationship. The... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Child Support

Child support is the money paid from one parent to another for expenses resulting from the other parent’s custody of a child or children.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,965 answers this week

2,751 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,965 answers this week

2,751 attorneys answering