Are there lawyers who help low income people with divorce and child custody??

Columbia, MO |

I need a lawyer to get my divorce started. There is one child between us. My ex keeps threatening to take my kid away. I have low income and cant afford a chunk of money out of my pocket. I just want to be legally done with him and make sure my child has a stable situation instead of being shuffled every time his dad doesnt think he can handle him or to hurt me. please help me.

1. Legal Services is an option for people with low income, although their resources are extremely limited. The Missouri Courts web site does offer free forms for people who would like to attempt their own divorce. You may also be able to find a lawyer who will accept payments that you can afford.

2. Absolutely. Contact the Missouri Bar Referral Service in Jefferson City or Mid Missouri Legal Services right there in Columbia. Good luck.

NOTE: The use of the Internet for communications with the firm or this attorney will not establish an attorney-client relationship and messages containing confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent.

3. The Missouri Supreme Court has a site to help people who want to represent themselves. I have posted it below. By all means check that out.

Answers given here are for general information only and do not create Ana attorney client relationship. The choice of an attorney is an important decision and should not be based on advertisement. I only am licensed in the state of Missouri. If you are seeking information in a different jurisdiction, you should seek an attorney in your jurisdiction.