Are there laws that restrict the amount of money (cash) a person can carry across state lines?

Asked over 5 years ago - Bluffton, SC

I am purchasing a piece of equipment from a company in New Jersey that is giving a considerable discount for cash.
I live in South Carolina and will be transporting appox. 12,000 to purchase this equipment. Will I be breaking any laws?

1. Alan James Brinkmeier

Answered . There are no laws that restrict the amount of cash you may carry across state lines.

Be careful. Have you considered doing a wire transfer so you can't get held up with a lot of cash in your pockets? Such a wire transfer is easy to arrange with a local bank.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney-client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in with experience in the necessary field of law with whom you enjoy an attorney-client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.

2. Jonathan H Levy

Answered . No problem if the money is from a legal source but be careful about speeding on I-95, the cops do a lot of stops looking for drugs coming up from Florida and might impound money if they have a chance to!