Skip to main content

Are there any states that will give me a valid Class C driver's license if I still owe fines to get my license reinstated?

Nashville, TN |

My license was revoked in Tennessee in 2007. I am eligible to get it back in Tennessee if I pay over 1000$ in reinstatement fees. I am planning to move to another state soon and I cannot afford to pay these fees. Is it possible for me to obtain a driver's license in another state without paying these fees?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. The various states' departments of transportation "talk" to one another. Speak to an attorney who handles license suspensions and see if you can work out some sort of payment schedule.

    We can be reached at 215-545-2201 The information provided is for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice. I am only licensed in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and I am not providing you with specific legal advice. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. Being general in nature, the information provided may not apply to any specific factual and/or legal set of circumstances and/or the jurisdiction where you reside. No attorney-client relationship is formed nor should any such relationship be implied. The information provided is of a general nature is not intended to substitute for the advice of an attorney, especially an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Your question, although you may believe is simple, it is not simple. You require legal advice, please consult with a competent attorney licensed to practice in your jurisdiction.

  2. As a general, no, you would not be eligible for a license in another state. If, for example, you moved to Georgia and attempted to obtain a license, you would be ineleligible until you cleared the suspension in Tennessee.

  3. Not likely. Most will require you to satisfy all license reinstatement requirements in another state before they will give you one in their state.

    This is not intended as legal advice. No attorney / client relationship exists because of this response.

  4. Not a valid license.

    This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. This answer is for information only. Call me or another attorney to represent you.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics