Are there any protections in place for a child who inherits money, so that their spouse can't access or make any claim on it?

Asked about 1 year ago - Edison, NJ

There are protective inheritance laws in CT where the will was drawn, so does NJ have any similar laws? The child who lives in NJ has been married for at least 10 years.

1. Adam L Rothenberg

Pro

4

1

Best Answer

Answered . an inheritance is personal property and not part of the marital property. It is important in order to keep it from being split in a divorce the money needs to be strictly segregated. A trust is one way to accomplish that. The problem is when there is blurring of the lines. However, as a concept the money is not the spouses unless the inheritor makes it common property.

2. Charles Adam Shultz

5

1

Answered . What type of protection are you looking for and are the parents still living. Inheritance is separate property but the child can create issues with the way the property is held, managed and used during life. If you are really concerned, and the parents are living, they should consider a trust for the child if they are really concerned. Regardless, many more facts are necessary. Try contacting Mr. Zelinger (he posts on Avvo and I believe he is not far from you.)

3. Dean P Murray

3

1

Answered . You can create a trust. Plus, you should consider a trust in your estate planning so that you can avoid Probate.

4. Thomas Devlin Begley III

Pro

2

1

Answered . Protections do exist for inherited money. First, an inheritance is considered exempt from property distribution. However, income generated from same can be utilized in calculations for alimony and child support. Moreover, if the inheritance is commingled with joint assets, the protection is lost. More often than not, I find individuals opting to utilize a trust known as a bloodline trust which allows the assets to be available for children but exempt from divorcing spouses and creditors. If properly drafted and implemented, children can have authority over these assets with these protections.