Are there any potential issues while filing L2 Visa with EAD (back-up plan) and O1 visa from a J1 visa?

Asked over 1 year ago - Elizabeth, NJ

Assumptions:
J1 2 year waiver already approved.
L2 is to be used as a backup unless timely employment cannot be obtained within the next 8 weeks, J1 expires in 12 weeks.
O1 - Ideal route assuming job offer and the applicant qualifies. COS from J1 to O1.

I would be grateful if the community can provide an insight if to whether the individual would run into any issues with having an L2 visa pending then being offered a roll where the company sort an O1 visa. It is fine to no longer pursue the L2 and EAD in favor of the O1?

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

5

1

Answered . A nonimmigrant can hold multiple visa stamps in his or her passport and use those in accordance with the purpose of a particular trip. A nonimmigrant can only be in one status at the time.

A nonimmigrant cannot change status unless the status from which the change is sought is valid on the day when the change of status application is filed.

The last action rule applies unless additional H1B employment is claimed instead of change of status. This is why it is always dangerous to file multiple petitions at the same time.

2. J Charles Ferrari

4

Answered . Having multiple changes going on at the same time inevitably leads to complications and frequently leads in being in the wrong status for what one wants to accomplish.

3. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.

Pro

1

Answered . I agree with my colleagues.