Are there any pitfalls to hiring an immigration lawyer to help with our marriage visa if he/attorney is out of state?

Rocklin, CA |

I'm getting married to my fiance in Lagos August 28th, 2010. I recently decided we should get an attorney to help us through all the complex paperwork-I-130 & other documents. I found an attorney I would like to hire but he practices in Massachusetts & i'm in California. Does this really matter? I don't have time to meet with a lawyer face-to-face much anyway due to my busy work schedule. However, he's only been practicing immigration law 4 years, should I be concerned about this? He is very pleasant & has lots of information on his website & offers free consulation. We have spoken once briefly. What other questions should i ask him?

1. If you feel comfortable with an attorney practicing in Massachusetts, then I don't see why it would be problematic for you to use his services. Depending on your schedule, the time difference may be a factor. It means that by 2 or 3pm your time, his office is closed. You could ask him how many I-130 consular cases he's handled if you're concerned about his level of experience. Experience is not always essential, but competence in an attorney is key, so definitely do your research on this person.

2. This is a matter of personal choice as it's important to have a lawyer that you are comfortable with when your immigration matter is concerned.
    You will both work for your best interest if you trust him.
    It does not affect the quality of representation where he is licensed as immigration is a federal law and a lawyer can represent a client in any state.