Are there any organizations that help fund the defense in a criminal case?

Asked about 2 years ago - Miami, FL

Any one know of any support systems or organizations that will help build a defense in a criminal case? There is only hearsay evidence but the prosecuting attorney is fighting really hard and the public defender isn't really fighting back. He seems more like an attorney in name rather then an attorney in...heart? I'd just like the chance to provide adequate defense for my father, but we don't have much money and attorneys cost ALOT! I refuse to let my daddy be rot away in a jail for a bogus crime he didn't do. So I would just like to know if maybe there are any support systems for the accused??? If you know of any PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!! Thank you so much in advance!!

1. Gerald Laverne Wilkerson II

2

Answered . Your perception that the Public Defender isn't really fighting could be based on the fact that you don't agree with his or her assessment of the case. I have had many clients who told me in private that they were guilty, but didn't tell their family. Their family continues to believe in the innocence of their family member while I am bound by attorney/client confidentiality to not reveal the truth to them. As a result of knowing the truth, that my client is guilty, my legal strategy may go from filing motions to dismiss, taking depositions, and generally being aggressive towards to state to being diplomatic, while I'm engaging in plea negotiations. Similarly, I may have a case in which the evidence is stacked against my client, and I am trying to keep the State from choosing to prosecute my client for an aggravated charge. In these situations, it sometimes looks to outside family members as if I'm not being aggressive. And they are correct! But this is the appropriate posture to take in a case like that. So I recommend seeking a consultation with a local attorney who can give you his or her assessment of the case, and ideas as to whether or not he or she believes that the public defender's approach is lackluster. The worst thing you could do is sink your life savings into an attorney who barks like mad in the beginning to get your money, only to go on and do EXACTLY the same thing your Father's public defender is doing.

2. Christina Maria Soberon-Llort

1

Answered . You may want to see if there are any attorneys who would take the case pro bono. You likely aren't going to find any solo practioners who can, but big firms sometimes take pro bono criminal cases.

3. Gene Edward Mitchell

1

Answered . Have no fear. If you cannot afford an attorney from the private sector, that is why tax dollars pay for court appointed attorneys. You have a right to effective representation. Call me to discuss further if youd like.

4. John Wesley Hall Jr.

1

Answered . Almost always no.

5. Robert C. LeBrasseur

Answered . Contact the local bar for assistance in finding an attorney who might assist at a discounted rate or pro bono.