Are there any limitations on what the Plaintiff can do in a foreclosure case prior to establishing standing?

Lakeland, FL |

The Plaintiff has entered a Motion to Strike Defendants Motion to Dismiss (lack of standing has been alleged).

If the standing of the Plaintiff is challenged at the onset of the case, are they required to establish standing before defending the case or can they avoid (sidestep) the issue of standing and proceed against the Defendant?

No, they cannot "sidestep" standing, although they will try. Standing is fundamental. If they have no standing, they have no case. You did right by challenging it. Good luck!

If you think my response is the best response, it would help me if you would indicate that. Also, please note that my responses to question(s) are NOT legal advice from me to you because I am NOT your lawyer, you are NOT my client, and we do NOT currently have an attorney-client relationship. Thanks!

They must establish standing first, and you challenging standing with a motion to dismiss before filing an answer is proper. However, they can establish standing generally by the bare allegations in the complaint.

Often times the bare allegations are conflicted by other information in or attached to the complaint and this becomes a good basis to contest standing. Also, sometimes even the bare allegations in the complaint don't establish standing. Unfortunately, many judges do not seem to be convinced by these arguments.

I recommend you have an attorney handle your foreclosure case. Although you seem sharp and to have grasp on many of he issues, if you don't have the training an experience of an attorney, you are asking for trouble defending your own foreclosure case.

Feel free to email me or to call with questions.

The Plaintiff must show that it has standing before it can prevail. Without standing, the Plaintiff does not have a right to bring the action. I strongly suggest that you retain an attorney to help you defend this foreclosure action. Many attorneys on here, including myself, offer free initial consultations.

Natalie Guerra-Valdes

The hiring of a lawyer is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. The information contained in this Website is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. No recipients of content from this site, clients or otherwise, should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the site without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from an attorney licensed in the recipient's state.

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes