Are there any legal ramifications for a plaintiff organizing a public protest against the defendant company?

San Francisco, CA |

This rogue company involved in pump-and-dump and pyramid schemes is going to pitch for contracts in the state where its registration has Forfeited status (non-payment of fees or taxes). We plan to notify the media and organize a protest to warn the public. Is it advisable, any legal issues that might arise? Thank you

I don't know whether anyone could answer your specific question, given the broad and vague nature of your post, but maybe this will help: If you tell the press and/or the public nothing but the truth, you won't be defaming anyone, and at least you shouldn't have to worry about losing a defamation suit.

If you report unauthorized or illegal activity to authorities, again you have nothing to fear, so long as you are truthful.

Thank you. I was worried about some legal gag statute not allowing parties to engage in public protests while the case is in process.

Christian Frederick Paul

Christian Frederick Paul

Of course, if your judge orders you not to speak about the case, you have to obey those orders, but otherwise you may talk about a pending case. Stick to the facts, be truthful, and if you give an opinion, make sure to say it is your opinion.

There are no such orders and the conference where this company is exhibiting lasts only a few days. The company has had Forfeited status for years yet it comes here every year with impunity and got several local contracts. It also sold investments to local residents through its out-of-state broker agent who was never registered here. If I'm right assuming they cannot do business in the state without valid registration, why would they risk penalties and delay settlement? I did not ask for punitive damages in my complaint, but can I ask for them later in the case?

You should, of course, discuss these plans with your attorney and get sound advice and approval before taking this kind of action,

Nothing contained in this communication is intended to be, or shall be deemed as, legal advice, counsel, or services to on or behalf of any person or any entity. Usage of the Avvo website is not intended to and shall not create any obligation or relationship between the user and the Law Office of Herb Fox, including but not limited to, an attorney-client relationship. Further, the communications on this website between you and the Law Office of Herb Fox may not be privileged or confidential. Finally, your situation may be governed by deadlines that may or may not have already lapsed, and you may lose your rights if you do or did not act within those deadlines.