Skip to main content

Are there any lawyers that will work pro - bono on a federal 2255 ?

Spokane, WA |

I have been in federal prison for over 3 years now. I am in need of help not sure if my time is up to file this or not but i have been trying to do all of this on my own and it seems close to impossible. (not me but the person asking the question)

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Typically, for a 2255 Petition, the prisoner files an initial Petition. The Court will then review the Petition and determine whether it may have merit. If the Court believes it does, it will appoint an attorney to assist.

I must tell you: There are VERY STRICT timelines for the filing of a 2255 Motion. Do not delay one more second.

No attorney-client relationship is created by responding to any question on Avvo. Further, nothing contained in any response may be relied upon as legal advice.


Mr. Kormanik is absolutely correct. Most 2255 petitions are filed pro se. I do not personally believe that is the best to proceed pro se, but many individuals do. If the court orders an evidentiary hearing, and the movant is indigent, the court is required to appoint counsel under the Rules Governing Section 2255 Proceedings.


Nothing else to add, follow the advice of the other two attorney for this question and don't delay because you don't want to miss out on an oportunity just because you missed the deadline.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer