Are there any laws to protect an employee fired by an incompetent company that is contracted by the government?

Desoto, TX |

I Started the job Monay at 1.45 pm. I was terminated Friday morning. I had an annual salary contract with the company. Do I have any legal rights, since I was working for a contractor by the Federal Government? During my terminaion I was told I was not knowledgeable of the job, and I would not be able to transfer calls quickly. I was told I would cost the company money if they kept me. The owner knew I did not have the background for the job, but she told me I could learn, so she email me training material. Per my lead the training material she emailed me was not needed for my job. The training material the lead gave me was missing items and the pages were not printed double-sided. I ended up geting the book back late Wednesday. The system to work calls on was down Wednesday and Thursday. I listened in on calls Monday and Tuesday, and I was never given a test or anything of that nature. My computer was never setup, so eventhough I came in an hour early each morning to get hand-on-training. I was not given a chance.

1. Your employment is "at-will" unless you had an express or implicit contract stating otherwise. That means you can quit and they can fire you for any reason or no reason, other than for violation of public policy.

The fact that the employer is incompetent in their business, as you claim, does not give you any rights and merely because they do government contracts does not give you any additional rights that are any different from any employee.

Sorry, but based on your limited facts, I don't see much of a basis for a suit. If you have a basis for an employment contract because of an implied contract would require further review and more facts.

You should speak with a local employment lawyer to get legal advice.

This answer is for informational purposes only and is not legal advice regarding your question and does not establish an attorney-client relationship.

2. I agree with the previous post, but am a little confused by one statement - you say you have an annual salary contract - what does that mean? Do you have an actual written contract? If so, you should look at it to see your rights. Otherwise, as the previous poster stated you are an at will employee and probably would have a very hard time establishing a case.

Also, keep in mind if you did have a case, you have a duty to mitigate damages - meaning you should be looking for work to minimize your damages.

3. Based on the facts presented, this does not appear to be a government contracts question. However, it is good that you included the fact that the employer was a government contractor.
    You never know which details will make a big difference.

There is no attorney-client relationship established through this site. Establishment of an attorney-client relationship requires a separate retainer agreement that is signed by both the firm and the client. The information provided is not legal advice. Continuum Law does not wish to represent anyone desiring representation based upon viewing this site in a state where this blog fails to comply with all laws and ethical rules of that state. Advertisement.

Government law topics