Are there any guidelines for websites like mugshots.com to follow when reposting public information?

Atlanta, GA |
Filed under: Internet law

I was arrested on Jan 19 2010 in dekalb county I got out in April of 2010 and the case was closed in october of 2010 with the charges against me not even being presented to a grand jury. Mugshots.com did not repost my booking photo until January 7th 2012.

1. The are a private business, albeit with a disgusting business model. You can search out many answers here on AVVO related to them. You can ask them to take down, pay them to take down, or ask an attorney to state the facts as you have above and write them a take-down request. If what they have posted is false, your attorney can advise to as to possible actions.

We do not have a client/attorney relationship until you make an appointment, we discuss your case face to face, I accept a retainer, and we explictly agree to enter into representation.

2. There are very few guidlines in this scenario. Free and public means free and public. Arrest records of public records and anyone can look them up, mugshots is just making it easy for the public to earn money. Otherwise, follow Barry's advice.

The recommendations in this answer are not considered legal advice for the purposes of ethical, legal and practical evaluation, nor does this recommendation create a retention of counsel agreement between us, wherein an attorney-client relationship or privilege exists. These recommendations should never be relied upon without first consulting an attorney in your jurisdiction. I am not your attorney, unless we enter into a written agreement fulfilling the terms of that agreement. The comments posted herein are purely for public educational purposes and public discourse on general legal topics. I presume the specific fact scenarios are only supposition and am thus commenting for the public's benefit and understanding of law. I am not soliciting you to hire me or my law firm, though in certain jurisdictions I may be able to refer you to an attorney that can help you or may consult with you for free.

Internet law topics