Are there any exceptions to the form i-551 or only if you are married to a U.S. citizen?

Asked 11 months ago - Douglas, GA

it's just that in the sites I've look they read i have to be married

1. David Nabow Soloway

1

Answered . The 551 stamp is temporary evidence of a person's status as a Permanent Resident, and its availability is not limited to marriage-based adjustment of status cases. Generally one must provide evidence of the need for the stamp at an INFOPASS appointment, showing why it would be a hardship to await the more tamper-resistant "Green Card" itself. Such evidence might include, for example, documents showing an important reason to go overseas (e.g. an invitation to attend a wedding overseas) within a few days, along with evidence that plane tickets have been purchased.

[Note: Consistent with Avvo policy, this communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.]

David N. Soloway
    Frazier, Soloway & Kennedy, P.C.
    1800 Century Place, Suite 100
    Atlanta, Georgia 30345 www.fspklaw.com
    404-320-7000 * 1-877-232-5352 * dsoloway@fspklaw.com

2. J Charles Ferrari

1

Answered . Form I-551 is the green card. I do not understand what you are asking.

3. Sarah E. Blackwell

1

Answered . If you want to become a lawful permanent resident through a family relationship, only certain family members can be sponsors. If the sponsor is a U.S. citizen, then she or he can sponsor a parent, a spouse, a child of any age or a sibling. If the sponsor is a lawful permanent resident, then she or he can sponsor a spouse or an unmarried child of any age.

Being married to a US citizen or having an adult child who is a U.S. citizen is the fastest way for an adult to become a lawful permanent resident.