Are there any exceptions to the form i-551 or only if you are married to a U.S. citizen?

Douglas, GA |

it's just that in the sites I've look they read i have to be married

Form I-551 is the green card. I do not understand what you are asking.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

The 551 stamp is temporary evidence of a person's status as a Permanent Resident, and its availability is not limited to marriage-based adjustment of status cases. Generally one must provide evidence of the need for the stamp at an INFOPASS appointment, showing why it would be a hardship to await the more tamper-resistant "Green Card" itself. Such evidence might include, for example, documents showing an important reason to go overseas (e.g. an invitation to attend a wedding overseas) within a few days, along with evidence that plane tickets have been purchased.

[Note: Consistent with Avvo policy, this communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.]

David N. Soloway
Frazier, Soloway & Kennedy, P.C.
1800 Century Place, Suite 100
Atlanta, Georgia 30345 www.fspklaw.com
404-320-7000 * 1-877-232-5352 * dsoloway@fspklaw.com

[Note: Consistent with Avvo policy, this communication is intended as general information and not specific legal advice, and this communication does not create an attorney-client relationship.] David N. Soloway Frazier, Soloway & Poorak, P.C. 1800 Century Place, Suite 100 Atlanta, Georgia 30345 www.fspklaw.com 404-320-7000 * 1-877-232-5352 * dsoloway@fspklaw.com

If you want to become a lawful permanent resident through a family relationship, only certain family members can be sponsors. If the sponsor is a U.S. citizen, then she or he can sponsor a parent, a spouse, a child of any age or a sibling. If the sponsor is a lawful permanent resident, then she or he can sponsor a spouse or an unmarried child of any age.

Being married to a US citizen or having an adult child who is a U.S. citizen is the fastest way for an adult to become a lawful permanent resident.