Are there any exceptions for US born children of diplomats who left the country after birth and want to obtain a green card?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Cambridge, MA

My wife was born in the US and my father was a diplomat . Our immigration lawyer believes that she cannot apply for a green card or any long residency permit as she has left the US after birth. We wanted to get a second opinion and to know whether there are any exceptions to this rule.


Attorney answers (3)

  1. Ilir Kavaja

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I am a bit confused; were her parents diplomats in the US or were yours? Also, was she born within the US in an American Hospital? Does she have a birth certificate issued in the US? If so, there may be a chance she has obtained citizenship at/by birth.

    Hope this helps, and good luck.

    Law Office of Ilir Kavaja
    30 Newbury Street
    Boston, MA 02116

    (617) 515-5545

    The above is NOT legal advice, and is NOT intended to be legal advice. No Attorney-Client relationship is created... more
  2. Giacomo Jacques Behar


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Unfortunately, your lawyer is right.

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be... more
  3. J Charles Ferrari

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . What does your wife's birth place have to do with your father being a diplomat?

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Green cards

A green card is a legal document which provides proof that the owner is a lawful permanent resident of the United States.

Carl Michael Shusterman

How to Renew your Green Card

Renewing your Green Card, or Permanent Resident Card, is important. If you have an expired Green Card you may be denied re-entry into the United States. You could also be charged with a... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,375 answers this week

3,120 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,375 answers this week

3,120 attorneys answering