Are there any exceptions for US born children of diplomats who left the country after birth and want to obtain a green card?

Cambridge, MA |

My wife was born in the US and my father was a diplomat . Our immigration lawyer believes that she cannot apply for a green card or any long residency permit as she has left the US after birth. We wanted to get a second opinion and to know whether there are any exceptions to this rule.

Thanks

1. Unfortunately, your lawyer is right.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

2. I am a bit confused; were her parents diplomats in the US or were yours? Also, was she born within the US in an American Hospital? Does she have a birth certificate issued in the US? If so, there may be a chance she has obtained citizenship at/by birth.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

Law Office of Ilir Kavaja
    30 Newbury Street
    Boston, MA 02116

(617) 515-5545
    www.KavajaLaw.com

The above is NOT legal advice, and is NOT intended to be legal advice. No Attorney-Client relationship is created through the above answer.

3. What does your wife's birth place have to do with your father being a diplomat?

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.