Skip to main content

Are there any Charlotte litigation lawyers with jurisdiction in Maryland? Possible civil suit against stepmom for inheritance

Charlotte, NC |

Believe she has stolen inheritance from my deceased dads asbestos lawsuit. Were told by his lawyers that we need to hire an attorney to get documents pertaining to the lawsuit. She says he had no will but his lawyer says he's pretty sure he did. He passed away in 2008. Is it too late to sue her and do I necessarily have to hire an attorney in Maryland? Also think she mishandled the Probate which was closed in 2010.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You have a bit of a strange set of facts. Normally, asbestos suits go on for MANY years. Settlements trickle in for a very long time, and the estate must be held open to continue to pursue legal action. So the first thing your attorney should look at is the wrongful death file, to see what happened, there. You would also have the attorney review the probate file. This needs to be done RIGHT AWAY, because there are statute of limitations issues.

James Frederick

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ***************************************** LEGAL DISCLAIMER I am licensed to practice law in the State of Michigan and have offices in Wayne and Ingham Counties. My practice is focused in the areas of estate planning and probate administration. I am ethically required to state that the above answer does not create an attorney/client relationship. These responses should be considered general legal education and are intended to provide general information about the question asked. Frequently, the question does not include important facts that, if known, could significantly change the answer. Information provided on this site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices in your state. The law changes frequently and varies from state to state. If I refer to your state's laws, you should not rely on what I say; I just did a quick Internet search and found something that looked relevant that I hoped you would find helpful. You should verify and confirm any information provided with an attorney licensed in your state. I hope you our answer helpful!


If your father lived in Maryland and the will was probated there, you will need a Maryland attorney. It may be difficult to challenge a probate almost 3 years after it was completed.


You would need a Maryland attorney.
First issue is the statute of limitations because of 2008

The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of action is to have legal representation in this matter.


I agree with the other answers, and I think you should ask the lawyer what it was that made him feel sure your dad had a will. Maybe he'll also know which lawyer was likely to have helped your dad prepare that will.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. Stephen Pearcy is licensed to practice law in California. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. The response is for legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question.

Wills and estates topics

Recommended articles about Wills and estates

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer