Are there any alternatives between county aid for emergency surgery and bankruptcy?

Boise, ID |

Recently had an emergency appendectomy and I'm uninsured. Total bill is approx $22k. Have submitted application for county aid which typically pays the hospital what Medicaid pays (40-60%) and then I repay the county. Currently awaiting a subpoena from the county courthouse for my hearing (to decide how much I can reasonably be expected to pay back). Additionally saddled with student loan debt in excess of $116k. Wondering what equation the county will use to ascertain how much I can pay back, whether or not I can do anything to persuade the hospital to lower their bill prior to the subpoena and if it's possible to file for bankruptcy after receiving county aid.

You seem to have an accurate grasp on the alternatives. Yes, you can discharge your personal liability for the debt in bankruptcy. Be aware, however, that any lien on any property recorded by the county in connection with the application for county assistance will not be avoided by the bankruptcy. This may not be a problem as counties don't seem interested in rights in personal property (such as cars, etc.) but the lien could attach to future real property purchased. Before you get any farther into the county process, you should consult with an experienced bankruptcy attorney. Be sure any attorney you are considering retaining is fully familiar with the difficult relationship between the county aid and bankruptcy and the unavailability of bankruptcy relief for statutory liens. Choose an attorney with considerable experience in Chapter 13 ("in how many cases in the last year have you achieved confirmation of a plan for your client?") and ask whether Chapter 13 can effectgivbely stave off county demands.

Best wishes for a favorable result, and please remember to designate a best answer.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.

I will NEVER allow the county incompetents (the worse of all the government crooks) intervine in the matters between me and the private hospital. In addition, some crooked private lawyers eager to appease both Government AND the private hospital AT MY EXPENSE involved is the worse situation. It sounds like my case that the CIA has plotted (unsuccessfully): Hoag Hospital, Orange County government incopetents looking for Federal $$$ and greedy female lawyer (in this case a women named Nancy at Legal Aid). Except in my case, I'm not in bankrupcy, and I did not go talk to Nancy Rimsha at Legal Aid because I hate Legal Aids or county incomptents and Hoag Hospita almost murdere dme. Government- Legal Aid- Hoag Hospital criminal conspiracy failures involving bi*ch female lawyers. crooks. BTW, your "Asker" sound like a perfect female troll (sounds even like a lawyer).

A lawyer named Dr. Bradley I. Kramer in Los Angeles tried to kill me and tried to financially take an advantage of me in conpsiracy with Hoag Hospital et al. crooks.

Paula Brown Sinclair

Paula Brown Sinclair

Boise poster: please ignore the vandalism by the deranged anonymous user. Her tactics are known to Avvo, and Avvo has been notififed. Her unhinged diatrive has nothing to do with your case.

Ms. Sinclair is a "family" lawyer. i.e. her typical competence level required is dealing with mentally retarded mother/children, drunk father over divorce and custody matter. She sees too many mentally ill pepole (including herself in the mirror) and she feels everyone who disagrees with her aer mentally ill, especially women. All orange couty, CA female lawyers use the same tactic.

Paula Brown Sinclair

Paula Brown Sinclair

Boise poster: please refer to my first comment, and be aware that I am a consumer debtor bankruptcy attorney of 23 years of experience with particular expertise regarding county medical liens in bankruptcy.

But my question is why does this Asker have to have the County as the middle man/woman to pay her bill, THEN IF SHE HAS TO PAY BACK THE COUNTY? It only makes it easier for the private hospital to get paid with the government assistance. What is the benefit for the consumer if it's not FREE money? I would never get the County government involved as the middle man/debt collector. I bet the hospital didn't even do good job and messed you up so that they can come back and do more surgery on you.

Does submission of the County Aid Application legally bind me to the terms of the decision of the court? Or can I reject the offer for County Aid after the hearing to ascertain eligibility for County Aid?

Paula Brown Sinclair

Paula Brown Sinclair

The problem is the loss of control under our statute. The hospital becomes a party. Due to the obnoxious comments of the anonymous poster, I am unwilling to say more. Avvo has left the flags up all day. You can likely get reliable advice at Idaho Legal Aid Services. They are in the phone book. Good luck.

Paula Brown Sinclair

Paula Brown Sinclair

Good, the flags are down and the offensive comments removed, leaving readers to wonder what was the fuss about.