Are there any affordable/free divorce services or attorneys in WA State?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Kent, WA

My sister cannot even begin to file divorce because of her low income. She needs guidance in her efforts to end her marriage to a husband who has been unfaithful and is very calculating and verbally/mentally abusive, She is not a helpless person, but she is pretty broke at this point,

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Rodney George Pierce

    Contributor Level 14

    Answered . To obtain legal advice you should hire a lawyer (for “full service” representation or for “limited” representation) or, if you cannot afford one, contact a low cost or free legal service program. For a referral to a lawyer or a legal service program, call CLEAR (888) 201-1014. If you are the victim of domestic violence, you may also obtain assistance from the Domestic Violence Hotline (800) 562-6025. Your county may also have a courthouse facilitator who cannot provide legal advice, but who can offer limited assistance in completing necessary paperwork.

    The last option is for you to assist youe sister with the financial burden she may incur. Now, there are a very significant number of individuals who have limited income and they look for family and friends to assist them.

    LEGAL DISCLAIMER Mr. Pierce is licensed to practice law in Washing with an office in Seattle and services... more
  2. Raymond Tyrell Graham

    Contributor Level 6

    Answered . Mr. Pierce hit most of the available services. I would also suggest contacting the Washington State Bar Association should she not qualify for the low-income programs. The WSBA has a moderate means program should that be the case. They can be reached at 1-800-945-WSBA (9722)

    Legal disclaimer: This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only. By using or participating in... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,357 answers this week

3,050 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,357 answers this week

3,050 attorneys answering