Are there always interviews for adjustment of status I-485 for adjustment of status for sister under 245(I)

Oakland, CA |

I live in California and my priority date is next month for adjustment of status under 245(i) .My sister has filed petitioned I want to know if everyone has to go for interview.

It is up to the USCIS, but usually there will be an interview.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

I agree. It depends. If 245(i), more likely than not. Good luck!

I agree with Mr. Shusterman ... probably yes, there will be an interview.

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

Most adjustment applicants are scheduled an interview.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.

It is correct that you will very likely be interviewed. Moreover, concerning your question about who must attend, although there is generally no requirement that the petitioner attend the interview for a sibling petition, this can be advisable because otherwise the USCIS interviewing officer may issue a request for additional evidence, to confirm that the petitioning sibling is still alive. If not present at the interview, often this evidence could take the form of a dated, notarized affidavit.

Carl Michael Shusterman

Carl Michael Shusterman

Good answer