Are there alternatives to a contract marriage, that way no one gets in trouble?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Nashville, TN

My boyfriend and I can't afford a real wedding but want to get married he is in the military and I do not want him getting into trouble with a "contract" marriage! What are some other options.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Patti Jon Burton Garner


    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Go to the courthouse and see if there is a judge or other person who can perform the ceremony. It will cost you a few hundred dollars (license and all) but it solves your problem of wanting to be married.

    If you find this answer helpful, please let other readers know by marking the answer as "helpful". No... more
  2. Thomas Blaine Dixon

    Contributor Level 3

    Answered . Go to the County .Clerk's office and buy a marriage license. The cost is approximately $100.00. ordained or licensed clergymen over the age of 18, and justices of the peace, members of county legislative bodies, county executives and former county executives, current and former judges and chancellors of this state, current and former judges of general sessions courts, current and former governors of this state, the county clerk of each county, current and former speakers of the senate and speakers of the house of representatives, and Mayors of municipalities

  3. Stephen Ross Cohen

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . As usual Patti is right on. There is no such thing as a legally valid contract marriage.

    My name is Stephen R. Cohen and I have practiced over 38 years and can be reached at 213-819-1171. I practiced... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,679 answers this week

2,901 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,679 answers this week

2,901 attorneys answering