Are there alternatives to a contract marriage, that way no one gets in trouble?

Nashville, TN |
Filed under: Marriage and prenups

My boyfriend and I can't afford a real wedding but want to get married he is in the military and I do not want him getting into trouble with a "contract" marriage! What are some other options.

Go to the courthouse and see if there is a judge or other person who can perform the ceremony. It will cost you a few hundred dollars (license and all) but it solves your problem of wanting to be married.

If you find this answer helpful, please let other readers know by marking the answer as "helpful". No discussion on this board is intended to replace the advice or consultation when all facts are disclosed and pleadings reviewed. No attorney client relationship is established by initiating this discussion with the attorney. For further discussion, I can be contacted by phone at 615-452-4423 or my email at Most consultations are free. My office is located in Gallatin, TN and I am licensed to practice in the state of Tennessee.

Jill Zerfoss Grim

Jill Zerfoss Grim

Or perhaps a military chaplain could also perform a brief ceremony once you obtain the license.

As usual Patti is right on. There is no such thing as a legally valid contract marriage.

My name is Stephen R. Cohen and I have practiced over 38 years and can be reached at 213-819-1171. I practiced mainly in Los Angeles and Orange County, California. I am not seeking clients from existing relationships with other attorneys, and give only limited advise over the phone (the phone is primarily used to set appointments), these services do not create an attorney client relationship

Go to the County .Clerk's office and buy a marriage license. The cost is approximately $100.00. ordained or licensed clergymen over the age of 18, and justices of the peace, members of county legislative bodies, county executives and former county executives, current and former judges and chancellors of this state, current and former judges of general sessions courts, current and former governors of this state, the county clerk of each county, current and former speakers of the senate and speakers of the house of representatives, and Mayors of municipalities

Marriage and prenups topics

Recommended articles about Marriage and prenups