Are their lawyers that take payment plans? I do not qualify for legal aid, as my ex has not abused me.

Asked over 2 years ago - Duluth, MN

He obtained a lawyer for our divorce with the help of family. I unfortunately do not have the means to obtain one with such a large retainer fee. A payment plan is one thing. Where do I look for someone who can help me? I can't possibly be the first person to not be able to have the financial means up front.

1. Dana Carrie Rindahl

1

Answered . Absolutely. Some lawyers are willing to make payment plan arrangements, but most will ask for a retainer. The retainer allows them to cover upfront expenses, and also shows the attorney that you are invested in your case. If you are invested in your case, they believe you will be less likely to skip out on the bill. I have found that smaller firms are generally more willing to help with payment arrangements.

You could also contact your local bar in order to see if there is a "modest means panel" that assists clients that are above the poverty level but unable to handle traditional lawyer fees.

2. Michael J Corbin

1

Answered . Yes, it is possible, but unlike the other responses to this post, I don't agree that it will be easy to locate such an attorney. Here's the problem in a nutshell - family cases are (usually) long affairs that end up using a lot of an attorney's time to resolve. If your husband has hired an attorney, and you hire an attorney, it will take months and months to resolve this. The only thing worse that one attorney being involved in a case is two attorneys being involved in a case! And, to be blunt, when I represent a family client, I never accept payments - there must be an in-place retainer at all times. Why? Because it is far too easy to simply get behind on paying your attorney, and being an attorney is a business like any other - costs on files need to get paid, staff needs to get paid, the phones, lights, rent, etc. If we were to allow a client's bill to blow up to a huge amount, it will probably never get paid - that's the truth, learned through painful experience. So, that's why most attorneys won't work on the "promise" of getting paid - that's why we require retainers.

3. Mary Katherine Brown

Pro

1

2

Answered . Certainly, many attorneys will accept a payment plan. You can find attorneys in your area by searching among the profiles here on Avvo. Good luck!

4. Peggy Margaret Raddatz

Pro

1

Answered . Yes you can often find some that accept payment plans. You may have to put a bit more effort into that or consult the local bar associations with your problem and see if they offer any suggestions or resources.