Are the Virginia guidelines for child support supposed to be followed?

Asked over 1 year ago - Richmond, VA

I am going though a difficult child support case with the grandparents of my child. I am currently paying $490 in child support a month and I only make on average $920 a month. I am in back support up to $12,000 over the course of 3 years (I was still paying when I had a job, I just got backed up because I was required to pay so much). As a result, my license has been suspended and I need to be able to drive to get to and from work. Are the Virginia guidelines for child support required to be followed? If so, I need to speak to a lawyer because the judge that I have for my case has denied me on several occasions when it comes to requesting to lower my support even when I was out of work and he has repeatedly said no. I would gladly appreciate it if someone could contact me regarding this.

1. Rixon Charles Rafter III

Answered . Yes you are required to follow the court order. If you want to speak with a lawyer, call the state bar and request a referral or try the avvo find a lawyer tab.

2. Anneshia Miller Grant

Pro

Answered . The guidelines are just that, guidelines. They are advisory and the court may order an amount above or below based on the circumstances. You should speak personally with an attorney in your area. Use the "Find A Lawyer" button above for references. Good luck.

Attorneys on AVVO donate their time and your feedback is appreciated. Be sure to mark the "Best Answer" or Helpful" to your questions.

Anneshia Miller Grant
    Garrett Law Group, PLC
    http://vabeachdivorceattorney.net
    anneshia@garrettlawgroup.com
    (757) 422-0195 - 24 Hour Service