Are the requirements my management company is asking for really legally binding? Arent they excessive.

Asked 10 months ago - New York, NY

Im trying to rent my condo and the management company is requiring all prospective tenants to fill out the application with the following documentation and fees. Can they really do this? Its not in the bylaws and its scaring good tenants away:

a) Apartment Lease Application
b) Personal letter of reference.
c) 2 business reference letters.
d) Employer verification letter.
e) Reference letter from bank.
f) Landlord letter of reference. (Current Landlord, Co-op or Condo Board Member).
g) Photo Id.
h) Apartment Sublease Agreement
i) Letter authorizing us as agents to run a credit report

ii/. Fees:
Processing fee: $350.00
Move in fee: $250.00
Move in Deposit: $500.00

1. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

3

1

Best Answer

Answered . Condos have rules that need to be followed to allow a sublet. The requirements are normal. Comply with the board to ease the process.

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

2

1

Answered . This is all normal. The Board wants to make sure the tenant is an okay person.

3. Peter J Weinman

Pro

1

1

Answered . Usual, customary, and those fees are quite reasonable.

I may be guessing or not licensed in your state. No atty/client relationship exists.
  4. Eran Grossman

Answered . Absolutely. This is fair and reasonable and likely consistent with the Board rules and bylaws. Comply with all requests to make the process as smooth as possible.