Skip to main content

Are the letters from the opposing party, open with consent, admissible evidences under both criminal and civil settings?

Baltimore, MD |

Opposing party was my roommate. While he was away, he requested me to open all his letters to search for his Government ID and Credit Card number. There are written consent and emails to proof. But as I opened all the mails, I discovered his numerous dirty secrets: bad checks, debts to banks and companies, poor credit scores, fraud of insurance companies, etc. Not until then, I realized that he lied to me saying he was the owner of a couple of banks. Can I submit these copies of letters as evidences that he has financial problems, which serve as the motive of the crime, and also perhaps, as character evidences under both criminal and civil settings?

Not until I was beaten out by him, I realize he has significant background of violence and all kinds of fraud. If your roommate cheated you to sign a lease together, tortured you physically, mentally, psychologically, emotionally, socially and spiritually, threaten you for your safety and your career, what can you do? Even after the criminal charges have been filed, he still goes after me and harasses me. I just cannot have a peace of mind to do anything. I developed sever chronic PTSD. He pushed me to the edge of the cliff. The only life-saving straw is the legal system. I didn’t want to go this way and tried so many other ways to tackle the issues, all failed. He pulled the trigger for everything.

Attorney Answers 3

  1. If you had a falling out with your roomate, best bet is to go your own way instead of attacking him.

  2. Responding to the "Additional Information" you provided, rather than your original question: you sound as though you may be eligible for a Peace Order, popularly referred to as a restraining order. If this person has harassed, threatened, or assaulted you within the last thirty days, you can go to the District Court or a Commissioner and file a petition for a Peace Order.

    Such an Order can be written to prevent your former roommate from having contact, going near your home, work, etc. Violating a Peace Order by continuing to threaten, harass, or abuse is a criminal offense which can result in being jailed.

    This is NOT legal advice, is GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, and does NOT establish an Attorney/Client Relationship. Therefore my answer cannot address your specific legal situation and you should not rely upon my answer in your legal matter. I am an attorney licensed in Maryland

  3. Why not try for a restraining order? A local attorney you hire could assist you in this difficult time.

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics