Are the lawyers the only persons allowed to speak at a "Motion to Dismiss" in Texas ?

Dallas, TX |
Filed under: Professional ethics

I am not sure that everything will be presented if I can't talk to the Judge myself.
Who all speaks and what should I expect?
Thanks.

If you have a lawyer, you need to address "what happens at court" questions to him/her. It lets the lawyer know what you are thinking so he/she can keep the both of you on track,

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. DO NOT RELY ON ANY ADVICE YOU RECEIVE FROM ME OR ANY OTHER ATTORNEY IN THIS FORUM. Legal advice comes after a complete review of the facts and relevant documents and an expressed (written) agreement of representation that forms attorney-client confidentiality. Neither of these two events can occur in this forum. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. His answers to any Avvo question are rooted in general legal principles--NOT your specific state laws. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this or any other matter.

Thanks for the response. I ask my lawyer and he stated that this was his first Motion to Dismiss. He had no idea on if would be able speak or not. I just do not want to leave anything out.

Those represented by a lawyer, only the lawyer speaks. People representing themselves can speak, but usually don't know the right thing to say. What happens with a motion to dismiss depends on legal rules. The judge does not consider "everything."

This is not legal advice. You should always discuss the specifics of your issue in person with an attorney. Be aware that there are time limits on all claims that depend on the kind of claim, so do not delay in seeking an attorney.

Thanks for the information. This will help me prepare my lawyer and I with the appropriate legal stand. I will make sure that my lawyer is fully prepared.

If you have a lawyer, the lawyer will speak. If you have questions about what will happen, you should ask your lawyer. If you don't have a lawyer, you will speak on your own behalf.

I am licensed in Pennsylvania. Members of my firm are licensed in various states, including Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York. We handle cases involving personal injury (car accidents slip and falls, etc.,) medical malpractice, nursing home abuse, workers' compensation and social security disability. This post is not legal advice, but instead contains general educational information. Please do not act or refrain from acting based upon what you read in this post. Also please remember that this post does not form an attorney/client relationship between you and me. If you have specific legal questions, you should contact an attorney in your state for assistance.

Professional ethics topics