Are the costs of DUI higher if I had DUI before?

Atlanta, GA |

I have a record of DUI from two years ago. Recently, I have been pulled over for DUI again. It was pretty expensive first time around. Can I expect the DUI cost be the same or will it be higher?

.

1. It depends on the judge. Some judges will hit you harder on fines.

2. The cost of the DUI itself (as in, the fine) probably won't be significantly higher, because it is a misdemeanor offense with a maximum fine of $1,000. If you have other related charges, though, such as speeding, you could end up with an extra $1,000 for each of those. The bigger concern is the other stiffer penalties such as jail time, license suspension, community service, etc. You will almost certainly want to find an attorney you're comfortable with on a second charge if you weren't represented on the first because of these stiffer penalties. Give us a call at 404-987-0245 to discuss the possible defenses to your case at no charge. Best wishes to you!

3. Probably, but only if you expect to win. If you look at the legal consequences along with the collateral consequences, you will see the real need to maximize the efforts and available resources of experts, PI's, pre-trial motion practice and every defense opportunity that comes your way. Choose wisely...

I am an attorney, practicing throughout the state of Georgia, but primarily in the areas around Augusta, Statesboro and Savannah, Georgia. You may review more information about my practice by going to: http://www.avvo.com/attorneys/30809-ga-elmer-young-540135/reviews.html. The information I am providing you should only be considered for your general knowledge and educational purposes. Consider it as a good first step in your knowledge acquisition, but not as legal advice. Indeed, any information I provide is based on the extremely limited facts you have provided and new facts could substantially alter any answer or reply. My opinion should be understood to apply only to the laws of the State of Georgia. You should always consult with a local attorney about your situation if you live outside of the State of Georgia.

4. Georgia has a 10 year "look back" period for DUI. That means that the State should consider this to be your 2nd DUI. The fines are not usually significantly higher for a 2nd DUI because normal misdemeanors can carry a fine of up to $1,000, plus court costs and fees. What will "cost more" is your insurance rates will be ASTRONOMICAL if you can even get it! You will be required to attend DUI school and most likely a treatment program. Additionally, you will be required to place an ignition interlock device on your vehicle, pay for installation and monitoring each month etc.! Don't forget that your drivers license will be suspended! My answer cannot include the "cost" you will incur if a conviction for a 2nd DUI causes you to loose your job! I have had Clients that would loose their jobs as a result of a DUI conviction costing them over $100k a year. Luckily that didn't happen in their cases.

This is my advise to you: Consult with the most experienced DUI defense attorneys in your area. Find one that you are comfortable with and fight the DUI charge!!! You only face the penalties IF YOU ARE CONVICTED!!!! I hope this information has been helpful!

The information provided in this response to a question is not legal advise and is provided only for general information purposes. My response should not be taken as legal advise as no attorney / client representation exists. Additionally, the information given in this answer is specific to the State of Georgia only and should not be applied to any other state.