Are the costs of DUI higher if I had DUI before?

Asked about 2 years ago - Atlanta, GA

I have a record of DUI from two years ago. Recently, I have been pulled over for DUI again. It was pretty expensive first time around. Can I expect the DUI cost be the same or will it be higher?

.

1. Kevin Aaron Chastine

Pro

5

Answered . The cost of the DUI itself (as in, the fine) probably won't be significantly higher, because it is a misdemeanor offense with a maximum fine of $1,000. If you have other related charges, though, such as speeding, you could end up with an extra $1,000 for each of those. The bigger concern is the other stiffer penalties such as jail time, license suspension, community service, etc. You will almost certainly want to find an attorney you're comfortable with on a second charge if you weren't represented on the first because of these stiffer penalties. Give us a call at 404-987-0245 to discuss the possible defenses to your case at no charge. Best wishes to you!

2. Elmer H. Young III

3

Answered . Probably, but only if you expect to win. If you look at the legal consequences along with the collateral consequences, you will see the real need to maximize the efforts and available resources of experts, PI's, pre-trial motion practice and every defense opportunity that comes your way. Choose wisely...

3. George F. Mccranie IV

Pro

2

Answered . Georgia has a 10 year "look back" period for DUI. That means that the State should consider this to be your 2nd DUI. The fines are not usually significantly higher for a 2nd DUI because normal misdemeanors can carry a fine of up to $1,000, plus court costs and fees. What will "cost more" is your insurance rates will be ASTRONOMICAL if you can even get it! You will be required to attend DUI school and most likely a treatment program. Additionally, you will be required to place an ignition interlock device on your vehicle, pay for installation and monitoring each month etc.! Don't forget that your drivers license will be suspended! My answer cannot include the "cost" you will incur if a conviction for a 2nd DUI causes you to loose your job! I have had Clients that would loose their jobs as a result of a DUI conviction costing them over $100k a year. Luckily that didn't happen in their cases.

This is my advise to you: Consult with the most experienced DUI defense attorneys in your area. Find one that you are comfortable with and fight the DUI charge!!! You only face the penalties IF YOU ARE CONVICTED!!!! I hope this information has been helpful!

4. James C Forslund

3

Answered . It depends on the judge. Some judges will hit you harder on fines.