Are the by-laws of a Florida not for profit (a sorority house corporation) a matter of public record? how do i get copy

Tallahassee, FL |

I need to understand my rights with regard to the operations of a sorority house that is owned by a Florida not for profit. The bylaws would tell me what rights a member of the house have. How can I obtain a copy? I have asked for a copy from the Board. They will not provide.

1. I will caution first of all that I am not a Florida attorney. Generally speaking, the Certificate of Incorporation of a nonprofit corporation is a public document. Copies can be obtained from the Florida Secretary of State's office, and you should be able to find contact information on the State of Florida website. The Certificate of Formation would provide "some" information regarding the operations of the nonprofit.

The Bylaws of nonprofit corporations are not necessarily found in public filings and unfortunately may therefore be more difficult to obtain if the Board is not willing to provide you with a copy.

Disclaimer: The above material is informational and general in nature only. You should not construe the above as offering advice for your specific legal issues.

Business topics