Are the "common counts" in a summons the "allegations" that need to be responded to on the answer contract?

Asked over 3 years ago - North Hollywood, CA

We received a summons for a credit card debt in Calif. We would like to complete the Answer Contract but need to know what area the allegations are that we need to respond to? We believe they are the "common counts". Does anyone know if that is correct? These forms are difficult to understand and I know the importance of completing them correctly. Appreciate any help you can provide.

1. Timothy Cecil Springer

Pro

Answered . To not "re-invent the wheel" you might just run a Google search for "California common counts". You will get several hits that explains them in detail. Normally an acceptable answer is just a "general denial" where you simply deny everything. The burden of proving your debt is theirs. Good luck with it.

2. Jonathan Robert Panossian

Answered . I noticed that you are near my office in Burbank, California.

I agree with my colleague. I would recommend hiring an attorney to assist you with responding to this lawsuit.

However, you may want to consider resolving the debt rather than fighting it head on. There are bankruptcy options that may be available for you. Realistically, the cost of resolving the debt through non-bankruptcy means becomes more costly and difficult now that the creditor has decided to spend the time and money by filing a lawsuit.

If you want, you are more than welcome to schedule a free consultation where we could discuss these matters.

Good luck to you!

Jonathan Panossian, Esq.
    www.JRP-LAW.com

Attorney Advertisement
    Disclaimer: The information contained on this website pertains to the law and legal procedures in general. It is neither intended to give legal advice for any specific case or situation, nor does it create an attorney-client relationship. Bankruptcy Law is complicated and you should consult with an attorney before taking any action. Should you have any questions or concerns regarding the legal aspects of your situation, you should seek legal advice from a professional immediately. Law Office of Jonathan Panossian, A PC does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. Thus, Law Office of Jonathan Panossian, A PC shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. The information contained herein is subject to change without notice and does not represent a commitment on the part of Law Office of Jonathan Panossian, A PC. Any and/or all testimonials or endorsements do not constitute a guarantee, warranty or prediction regarding the outcome of your legal matter.

3. Robert Harlan Stempler

Answered . Please visit my web site, which I have linked below, for you to the correct page, so you may find a specific example (in PDF format) of what is the summons and what are sample debt collection complaints.

The summons is one page, half in English and half in Spanish, about your need to respond within 30 days. The complaint has the particular allegations against you, which your attorney would then need to deny those that are false, admit those that are true, and neither admit nor deny if you do not know in an answer to complaint. i do not recommend a person try to handle this themselves, as a judgment against you for the full balance is a likely result.