Are text messages allowed as evidence in court?

Tampa, FL |

Are text messages from a phone allowed in court as evidence? Does it matter if they are on the original phone? Or can I transfer them to another phone and still use them?

1. Yes, the messages are admissible as long as they are authenticated. As a first step, you should go to your service provider and get the messages transcribed into a written document and verified by the service provider as having been sent to/from the phone in question. Good luck!

If you think my response is the best response, it would help me if you would indicate that. Also, please note that my responses to question(s) are NOT legal advice from me to you because I am NOT your lawyer, you are NOT my client, and we do NOT currently have an attorney-client relationship. Thanks!

2. Prior answer is correct. So long as proper authentication and foundation can be established, text messages that are preserved, can be used as evidence.