Are tenants responsible to clean comman areas.

Cranford, NJ |

This tenant lives in a three family dwelling and wanted the steps cleaned. Does the landlord need to clean them or can that be the tenant's responsibility?

Look to your lease to determine who is responsible for what. If the lease is ambiguous, then ambiguities are construed against the drafter..which in most cases is the landlord.

DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided for informational purposes only and the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For legal advice relating to your specific situation, I strongly urge you to consult with an attorney in your area. NO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ME ARE TO BE CONSTRUED AS ARISING FROM AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP AND NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP WILL BE ESTABLISHED WITH ME UNLESS I HAVE EXPRESSLY AGREED TO UNDERTAKE YOUR REPRESENTATION, WHICH INCLUDES THE EXECUTION OF A WRITTEN AGREEMENT OF RETAINER.

Unless the lease says otherwise, the LL is responsible for cleaning and maintain the common areas.

A review of your lease should indicate responsibility for the common areas. Generally, landlords are responsible for common areas, but check your lease. Contact an attorney to discuss the specifics of your situation.

Disclaimer: For a free consultation contact me directly at 973-519-0196 or adam@LefkowitzLawOffice.com. If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. Answering questions on avvo.com does not create an attorney-client relationship. You are strongly encouraged to seek and retain your own counsel. Information and answers posted to this website are for general informational purposes only.

Landlord-tenant topics