Are tenants required to have their own lawyers if I now retained a lawyer to substitute in?

Asked over 1 year ago - San Jose, CA

I retained a lawyer to substitute on my behalf to evict my clients. My lawyer filed a request for a hearing. If once we have a schedule for hearing, if the tenants do not have a lawyer to represent them, are they required to have one and will then have to resched? If so, what can I ask my lawyer to somewhat make sure it does not resched on the date of the hearing. Money is really tight that's why I trying to minimize the appearance in court of my lawyer.

1. Neil Pedersen

3

Answered . Parties to a lawsuit are not required to have attorneys unless they are entities, like a corporation. Individual defendants are not required to have attorneys to represent them.

Preventing delay in litigation is like herding cats. Plaintiff attorneys can make lots of diligent efforts to avoid delay, and can be somewhat successful, but delay is not completely controllable.

Good luck to you.

2. Nicholas Basil Spirtos

1

Answered . The tenants are not required to have an attorney just because you have one. If they show up in Court and tell the judge they need time to get an attorney, there is probably nothing you or your attorney can do to prevent that. A judge will probably grant such a request, but only for a short period of time.
    I suspect that if your tenants do not have money to pay the rent (just a guess) they will not have money to pay an attorney either.
    If you want to avoid making appearances in court, then ask your attorney to work something out with the tenants. Maybe you can give them a few weeks to leave in return for them agreeing to a judgment. Your attorney should be able to help you with this.

3. John P Corrigan

2

Answered . parties to an action can represent themselves w/o a lawyer (is called "pro se"). However, nothing can stop a judge from granting an adjournment at a hearing if the tenants show up and look like they really should have counsel....in which case the judge will surely reschedule the hearing if they even whisper the words "we are looking for an attorney but need a little more time" Sorry...